Tuesday, October 26, 2010

paleo meat sauce...so good you won't miss the pasta

My mom started making this amazing meat sauce for our family a few years ago. It quickly became a favorite for anyone that tried it. Its so good and the best part is that it cooks up in about half an hour. Its perfect for those "I don't want to cook" nights. I serve this over zucchini or spaghetti squash. Recently I tried it over steamed broccoli and I can tell you its just as fabulous. (And this is another recipe you may want to double. You can freeze up some leftovers and save for another day).

(My youngest son loves this meat sauce with zucchini noodles)


Quick Meat Sauce

1 lbs ground beef
olive oil
1 onion, diced
1-3 cloves of garlic, minced
basil
mint
red pepper
sea salt
1 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes (be sure to check the ingredients on the can, try to get one that is as close to just tomatoes as you can get)

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Brown ground beef in skillet, until the beef is almost brown. Add onion, and garlic. Continue cooking until beef is just about dried out (feel free to drain grease if there is a bit too much), and almost crispy. Add a pinch of basil, mint and red pepper. Salt to taste. Add tomatoes. Stir. Add another pinch of each seasoning and allow to simmer for 20 min. Be sure to adjust the heat so that the sauce is just bubbling, but not boiling.
(this recipe originally came from a cookbook called The Northend Italian Cookbook, I have long since memorized how I make it, so I am not sure if this is exactly how the book calls for it to be made or not)

No comments:

Post a Comment