Monday, October 25, 2010

Oh so moist (and super easy) roast chicken

For dinner last night I made one of our staples. Roasted chicken. I love having chicken around to munch on all week long. I have even been known to eat it for breakfast. I hate when chicken dries out so I prefer to roast a whole chicken than to make boneless skinless breasts. Here is how I make my roasted chicken (oh and if you want lots of extra meat for salads, snacks, ect, roast two chickens at the same time). As a note, I do not eat the chicken skin. In this recipe, I would not recommend it unless you are looking to have some serious sodium.

Roasted Chicken

1 (or two) whole roaster chicken
carrots (baby ones or regular...I like one bag of baby carrots)
sea salt (course grain works best)
sweet potatoes (about 3-4 will be plenty), cut into large cubes
1-1.5 cups water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If you have convection, use it! It helps keep the temperature even in the oven. If not regular 400 degrees works great.
Prepare the chicken by rinsing (remove giblets if they are in there) and patting dry. Place in the roaster pan. Sprinkle liberally with course sea salt. Be sure to sprinkle some salt inside too. Put the carrots and sweet potatoes around the chicken, pour water over carrots and potatoes. Place in the preheated oven. Check the internal temp (I usually check the breast meat) in about 45 mins, if it is less than 165, then let the chicken cook for a bit longer. Check every 5-10 minutes until the chicken reaches 165-170. Pull the chicken and let it rest for 10 minutes on the counter. Slice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment