Monday, December 6, 2010

Bacon wrapped stuffed turkey breast

I really am not a big turkey fan. I think its way too lean and therefore dries out way too much. I do love a good Disney World turkey leg, but those things taste like bacon, not turkey. I decided to stuff this turkey breast with fabulous winter veggies (a great way to hide veggies, my two year old ate the filling first tonight). Then I wrapped the turkey in bacon so that it would impart of some its yumminess to this otherwise dull meat. Also, what I love about this recipe...its all mine! :) I am always so proud when I make up a good one!



Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Turkey Breast

1 boneless, skinless, turkey breast (about 2-3 lbs)
1 package bacon, 4 strips, diced, the rest whole
1 onion, minced
1 apple, shredded
1 tsp poultry seasoning
3 cups of shredded kale
3 cups of shredded mustard greens
sea salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the stuffing by cooking the bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat. When partially cooked, add onion and cook until onion is translucent. Add the apple and poultry seasoning. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the kale and greens. Saute until wilted. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn off stove and allow to sit while you prepare the turkey.

Pound turkey with a meat mallet until its about 3/4 of an inch thick. Spread the filling out along the turkey and wrap the turkey around the filling. Secure the turkey with butchers twine (toothpicks may work in a pinch). Place turkey in a roasting pan. Take remaining strips of bacon and drape over the turkey so that the top is completely covered. Bake for 1.5 hours or until juices run clear. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment